Things to do in the area
Sports activitiesThrills and spills in the Ardèche
Unmissable attractions in the Ardèchemaximum 45 min drive away
- The Pont d’Arc and the Gorges of the Ardeche: this magnificent natural arch is a unique geological site formed by the river Ardèche piercing the rock. Located at the gateway to the Gorges de l’Ardèche, the Pont d’Arc is 54 metres high, 60 metres wide and at least 500,000 years old! It is THE unmissable photo opportunity in the area!
- Le Bois Païolive and Les Gorges du Chassezac: Le Bois Païolive is an ancient forest that covers an area of 16 km² in the south of the departement of Ardèche. It is of great scientific importance due to its wealth of natural biodiversity as well as its rocky landscape, which is cut through by Les Gorges du Chassezac.
Caves and sinkholes
- La Grotte Chauvet 2: This replica of La Grotte Chauvet draws you into a unique and timeless space where you can find out about the life of the prehistoric Aurignacian people.
- L’Aven d’Orgnac and the Cité de la préhistoire: Learn about prehistory at one of France’s major sites!
- La Grotte de la Cocalière: visit one of the most beautiful caves in France on a marvellous journey into the earth in Cévennes.
- Balazuc: high above the river, the blue-tinged stones of the old village of Balazuc cling cliff-like on the edge of the precipice. Its most charming features are its steep cobbled streets, known as calades, and its squares, which are bordered by fig trees.
- Vogüé: the old village of Vogüé is built like an amphitheatre on the cliff along one bank of the Ardèche. It is one of the most famous and picturesque images of the Bas Vivarais area. The main starting point for those descending the Gorges de l’Ardèche, Vogüé also has a rich history with the ruins of four castles dating from before the 14th century. One of them, which was heavily restored in the 17th century, dominates the village.
- Labeaume: here more than anywhere, stones and dolmens tell their stories. Labeaume and its theatrical natural scenery inspires artists. There are many views over the village from the cliffs and their remarkable ‘hanging gardens’.
- Castanea in Joyeuse: Find out all about the Ardèche’s sweet chestnuts
- Néovinum in Ruoms: Find out all about wine. Enter the spectacular world of the Ardèche’s wines and discover a fun interactive trail that takes you from vine to glass. An introduction to oenology, wine tasting and pairing wine with dishes.
- MuséAl in Alba la Romaine: Discover what the Ardèche was like in the Gallo-Roman period.
Explore the Ardèche’s mountain (approximately 1½ hours by car)
Cascade du Ray Pic
- A refreshing spot in the middle of the Monts d’Ardèche Regional Natural Park. Admire the spectacular waterfall tumbling down the columnar basalt rock.
- Nestled in the crater of an ancient volcano, at 138 metres, this is one of the deepest lakes in France.
Mont Gerbier de Jonc
- Discover one of the sources of the Loire and enjoy a 360° view from the summit.
Tourist Offices in southern Ardèche
Cévennes d’Ardèche Tourist Office
- Joyeuse Agency:
63 Avenue François Boissel – 07260 Joyeuse
- Les Vans Agency:
17 place Léopold Ollier – 07140 Les Vans
Phone: +33 (0)4 75 37 24 48
Ardèche Secrète Tourist Office
- Aubenas Agency:
Place de l’Airette – 07200 Aubenas
- Vals les Bains Agency:
7 rue Jean Jaurès – 07600 Vals les Bains
- Antraïgues Agency:
Le Village – 07530 Antraïgues sur Volane
Phone: +33 (0)4 75 89 02 03
Pont d’Arc-Ardèche Tourist Office
- Vallon Pont d’Arc Agency:
Gare routière – Quartier Ratière – 07150 Vallon Pont d’Arc
Phone: +33 (0)4 75 88 04 01